WELCOME TO THIS BLOG OF INFORMATION AND DISCUSSION

In this blog I am going to share my online tutoring information.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Complex sentence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Complex sentence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "Complex sentence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A complex sentence is a sentence with one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.
[edit]Contrast

I ate the meal that you cooked.
I ate the meal is an independent clause and that you cooked is a relative clause.
More examples of a complex sentence are:
I enjoyed that apple pie that you bought for me.
I like the pomegranate juice that my father poured into the cup.
I ate breakfast before I went to work.
I ate breakfast is an independent clause, and before I went to work is a dependent clause, meaning it cannot stand alone as a sentence.
I was scared, but I didn't run away.
Both clauses are independent. Therefore, this is a compound sentence but not a complex sentence.
The dog that you gave me barked at me, and it bit my hand.
This is a compound-complex sentence with two independent clauses (The dog that you gave me barked at me and It bit my hand) and one dependent clause (that you gave me).
[edit]"

No comments:

Post a Comment