WELCOME TO THIS BLOG OF INFORMATION AND DISCUSSION

In this blog I am going to share my online tutoring information.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Compound sentence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compound sentence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "Compound sentence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Compound sentence (linguistics))
A compound sentence is composed of at least two independent clauses. It does not require a dependent clause. The clauses are joined by a coordinating conjunction (with or without a comma), a correlative conjunction (with or without a comma), a semicolon that functions as a conjunction, or a conjunctive adverb preceded by a semicolon. A conjunction can be used to make a compound sentence. The use of a comma to separate two independent clauses is called a comma splice and is generally considered an error (when used in the English language).
Contents [hide]
1 Examples
2 Mathematics
3 See also
4 References
5 External links
[edit]Examples

My friend invited me to a tea party, but my parents didn't let me go.
Do you want to stay here, or would you like to go shopping with me?
I have much work to finish; therefore, I will be up all night. (The conjunctive adverb 'therefore' joins the two independent clauses)."

No comments:

Post a Comment